After this past week's debacle on national television, the Broncos limp into a much needed bye week this week. Several key Broncos were injured in the 41-14 drubbing they took from New England. OLB Boss Bailey is out for the year and will require microfracture surgery to repair his knee and most noteably Champ Bailey's is out an entire month with a torn right groin. The elder Bailey is the catalyst of the Broncos defense and his injury couldn't come at a worse time for this struggling unit.
Veteran CB Karl Paymah will take the place of Champ Bailey while linebacker Jamie Winborn will likely replace Boss on the outside. For a defense that ranks dead last in points allowed and yards per game allowed, the Broncos defense will be tested and tested often in the second half of the season. QB's that face Denver will be licking their chops once they stare into the depleted secondary that's missing #24. This is a major concern considering the fact that I cannot recall 1 pass defended by Dre Bly or anyone else in Denver's secondary who's name is not Champ.
Again the Broncos must shift their focus to the basic football fundamentals tackling, pass coverage, and ball security rather than heading into the bye week stress free. Although the Orange and Blue are first in the AFC West, they are far from being the team they need to be down the stretch. Denver must hope for a San Diego loss in order to remain in control of their own fate.
Below I've listed 5 question marks as well 5 things I liked about this years team:
5 Question Marks:
1) Can the defense stop somebody, anybody?? Denver is on track to be one of the worst teams (statistically) in history.
3) Can the Broncos stay healthy down the stretch or will injuries to Champ and Boss Bailey be too much to overcome?
4) Which team will show up in the second half of the year? The one who averaged 38 ppg after 3 games or the one who averaged 13 ppg in the past 3 games? that's a two part question....
5) Can this team play a complete game on all sides of the ball? Oh yeah and NOT turn the ball over.
5 Things I Like:
1) I like the youth movement of the Broncos. This team is young and has a lot of bright spots for the future.
2) Offensive line play. With the exception of the loss to the Pats the offensive line gave up 2 sacks all year. Ryan Clady is the real deal.
3) Eddie Royal. Need I say more?
4) The return of the orange alternate jerseys. White and Blue have become the predominant color.
5) The addition of Michael Pittman. He's been a team-first player that has produced since given the starting nod.
Well Bronco fans hope your are all coping without a game this week. Here's to a Charger's loss!
- ALL Day